Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Let's Try Something New, Shall We?

If you're reading this, you're basically a wonderful person for stickin' with me.  My life's been upside down, sideways, and really tangled lately!  My goal with this blog was to be a reliably up-to-date news source on all worlds of Science, for all those interested in Science.  I don't feel like I meet that goal when I only post every month or two, so I want to try something new out and see if I can make the time for it.

Twitter will go on as usual.  My favorite part about this is being able to offer those headlines sooner than other sources, and immediately on the site without having to wait to post a full blog.  That part's a success and shall continue.  Each week day, however, in the morning, I'll sum up just one very interesting article from the day before.  That's a lot easier on me because I sleep in the day when the Science is happening, so I don't get a chance to read and report on all of it until the evening and early morning hours.  Wake up to Science.  Dig it?

Each Saturday, the hope is to write a longer, normal post wrapping up other big stories from the week.  Kinda like how my posts have been up until now - between three and five awesome stories from all different fields and sources.  Like I said - headlines will continue as usual on Twitter (right-hand side of the page), so you won't miss a thing during the week!

Let's see if I can pull that off, ya?  I'll already be on blogger once a day anyways to update the Pet-of-the-Day on my vet techy blog over here.  Totally doable.  Come on, lady, YOU CAN DO IT.



SO.  Today's story!

Tooooxoooplasmoooosiiiisss...

Is one of my favorite diseases.  Ebola is my most favorite, but Toxoplasmosis is one of those ones that comes up quite a bit when you work with cats!  In any case, researchers studying it have demonstrated that the "centrocone" behaves as a "master organizer" of other "chromosomes," illuminating the "processes" involved in "parasitic" cell "division."  "."

Actually this is very cool.  All chromosomes remained bound by the spindles even when not actively dividing.  This is especially interesting because those cells probably behave differently during different life cycles of Toxoplasma gondii.  Not only does this advance our understanding of Toxoplasmosis, which affects millions of people and is frequently symptomless BUT can cause severe birth defects, BUT it also carries over to other organisms like Malaria.  Read the full article below!



-Miss Mouse



References and Links:
Toxoplasmosis & Chromosomes:  http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-previously-unknown-role-cell-division.html

No comments:

Post a Comment